|Dr. Edith Eva Eger|
Today, Dr. Eger is a sought-after clinical psychologist and lecturer, helping individuals discard their limitations, discover their powers of self-renewal, and achieve things they previous thought unattainable. Here's a sampling of fundamental truths she encourages people to reflect upon:
- 1. Every problem is temporary.
- 2. The quality of your decisions determines the quality of your life.
- 3. Dire conditions allow opportunities for inner growth.
- 4. Adversity is what life is all about. You have the power to use adversity to your advantage!
- 5. Blame and condemnation seldom produce positive change and almost always make things worse.
- 6. Others only have as much power over you as you let them!
- 7. The most obnoxious person in your life is often your best teacher.
- 8. Aggression and passivity are two of the least effective behaviors to effect a solution.
- 9. To find freedom we need to forgive.
- 10. Forgiving is a selfish act to free yourself from being controlled by your past.
- 11. Cooperation requires a lot less energy than competition or domination.
- 12. Every situation can be viewed from many perspectives. Is there a pattern to the way you view most situations?
- 13. Focus on seeing the world the way it could be, not the way it is.
- 14. Take responsibility for the responses you make.
- 15. Turn problems into challenges and crises into transitions!
- 16. You may walk through the Valley of Death but don't set up camp there.
- 17. To lead full lives we need to get in touch with ourselves, discard our limiting beliefs, and shed our prejudices.
An inspiring story about another Auschwitz survivor and her message of forgiveness...
Post by Dennis E. Coates, Ph.D., Copyright 2011. Building Personal Strength .